Monday, March 16, 2009

Just that little red thingy

One of the items on my "to do" list is to troubleshoot the vacuum pump. The pump is used to provide vacuum for the brake booster.

There are two problems with the pump...it takes forever to create a vacuum and it's loud. So I went over all the hoses and connections to see if there is a vacuum leak. All the connections look good.

I went back to the instructions for the vacuum to see if I missed anything. Still no luck. But while looking for the instructions I found this in the box:


Not knowing what this was (it was not on the instruction sheet) I decided to call the supplier of the vacuum to see it he knew what was going on. He didn't have anything new to add to what I already had done. Then the conversation got interesting.

Me: Also there is an extra part that came with the pump (see attached picture). No idea what it is. Do you know what it is?

Him: Muffler - it goes on the exhaust port of the pump - will muffle the noise some.

Me: Will try the muffler on the output port. Is that the little red thingy on the pump?

Him: I'm surprised turning the pump on didn't "eject" the little red thingy - that port should be open so it can pump out the air. That could possibly explain why it is taking so long to draw down the vacuum.

Me: OK. Taking out the "red thingy" and putting on the muffler makes a huge difference. Vacuum come up in a few seconds.

Well at least the vacuum works like it is supposed to. One less thing on the to do list.

No comments: