Sunday, March 8, 2009

Just the maiden voyage!

Yesterday I hooked up the remainder of the batteries. After plugging the controller into the battery pack I turned the key and....nothing happened. Nothing meaning explosions, sparks, and other nasty stuff.

What did happen is the green light on the controller went on. This was the signal that the controller liked what it was seeing and was ready to go. So I put the car in neutral and pressed on the gas pedal. The electric motor hummed and the tachometer started doing whatever a tachometer does.

So today with the weather warm it seemed like a perfect time for that first electric trip. I went ahead and double checked that nothing was loose and nothing was in the way. I pulled out of the garage and took a trip to the front door. After picking Nancy (my wife) up from the front of the house we took the trip back into the garage. Total mileage...less than 1/10 of a mile.

Here's the car out of the garage.





Some observations from the maiden voyage:
1. The rear, with all of the batteries, is riding low. I have upgraded springs on order to solve this problem.
2. The vacuum pump for the brakes has a leak that I need to track down.
3. The display for the Evision unit (battery monitor) is not working. The main board and other components are working fine since I can interface with it using the computer. Need to troubleshoot this.
4. The electric power steering was not kicking in. Another thing to troubleshoot.

Overall, given the complexity of the project, I was happy with the first run. Next thing to check is the charging circuit. I have the car plugged in and charging as I'm typing. Again nothing is happening...the good type of nothing that is!

2 comments:

RacerX said...

Great news! Let me know when you are ready to break a bottle of champagne over the front bumper :)

Idoco said...

I can bring the bumper over anytime :-)