Thursday, August 7, 2008

Just The Start

As the name suggests this is one more blog documenting conversion (hopefully) of an internal combustion engine(ICE) car to an electric vehicle(EV). The title for this post "The Start" is actually a misnomer. Although this is my first post regarding this project it is far from the start of the project.

It has been over a year and a half since I actually started on the project. And I've made a ton of progress over that period of time. But I have yet to touch a bolt, connect a battery, or remove a part. So what have I been doing?

Since I'm not a mechanical engineer, an electrical engineer, an automotive engineer, or any other type of engineer it has taken me this long to gain a sufficient knowledge base in order to tackle this project. Basically I've been reading.... reading the Electric Vehicle List posts daily... reading web sites of others who have converted EVs.... reading blogs on EVs....reading battery spec charts.... reading motor spec charts...reading, ok you get the point. Lots and lots of reading.

But now I am at the point where I am about to touch a bolt, remove a part, etc. So as the process goes on I'll try to take lots of pictures and document what I can.

4 comments:

CarolC said...

Barry, this is so cool!Good luck.
What car did you choose for the conversion?
Carol C.

Idoco said...

You'll have to read part 2 :-)

EpiDoc NCS said...

After reading the account of how you removed the gas tank I am glad that I am not home. In fact, you probably selected a time when I am out of the country to start this project so I could not harass you in person. I just hope our house is standing when I get home.

RacerX said...

Tsk, tsk - you don't need all those fancy tools for hoses. Just a sharp scapel, and sterility is not required ;)

It is comforting when you know it doesn't have to go back together again.