Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Just breaking in (not breaking) the motor

Today I took the motor for its first run. Technically it is a "stay still" and not a run since the motor stayed in place :-) I guess the proper phrase would be that I took the motor spindle for a run (or at least a fast walk).

Below is a picture of the motor hooked up to a battery charger. The charger is acting as the power source. I was going to take a video. But the spindle turning was exceedingly boring (according to Ari).


The last of the lugs and fuses came in so I started crimping the lugs onto some of the wires. Crimping involves cutting very thick wire, stripping the insulation to expose the ends, sticking the ends into lugs, crushing the lugs to trap wire, then putting heat shrink at the junctions.

Here's the wire so you can get an idea the thickness of 2/0 wire.

Here's a wire with two lugs on the ends. The wire is the big black thing hooked up to the motor.



I also started laying out the components of the high voltage box I spoke about before. I changed the layout a little from prior. This is the new drawing.



And here's the components as I start laying them out.

No comments: