Thursday, April 16, 2009

Just a full circle

I stopped by the local auto parts store to get a replacement CV boot for the damaged one. They don't carry CV boots because at $30 bucks for a boot and $75 bucks for a new axle (including the boot) most people just replace the axle. I said ok, order me an axle. No problem. Until the phone call from them saying they can't get the axle for my car.

Next stop the internet. Do some searching and find an axle for the car. $70 bucks plus shipping. But it is an "off brand" aftermarket part. I do some research on the internet and find that this aftermarket one is a cheap version with lots of reports of unhappy buyers.

Since I can't find an OEM axle online I call a reputable US axle vendor. He doesn't carry the axle for my car since Saturn changes the spline configuration so frequently he can't keep up with them.

Next I call Saturn dealer. Figure I'm willing to pay a little more for the OEM axle. Well a little more is $400 more!

In the end I end up just ordering the CV boot from them ($35) like I originally wanted to do. Full circle :-)

No comments: