Friday, December 12, 2008

Just the ECM

That's the engine control module. Since there is no engine it would make sense that no ECM is needed. Not the case since the tachometer and speedometer inputs run through the ECM. So I guess I'll hook it back up.

The ECM is connected to the vehicle by two connectors each with over 60 individual wires. The top connector has the cable attached. The bottom does not.



Most of the 100+ wires that go to the ECM are for engine functions no longer needed. Out of all the wires I only need 8 (power, ground, ignition signal, CANH, CANL, vehicle speed sensor, crankshaft position sensor, and OBD communication).

With factory manual in hand I went through the bundle of wires and separated out the ones needed. The rest I bundled up, cut, and bagged. Eventually I'll cut off the wires not needed since they are bulky and get in the way.

Next I connected my OBD scanner and turned on the ignition. And as luck would have it the scanner started communicating with the ECM.

So now that I know the ECM works the next step is to hook up a new RPM sensor and see if the ECM accepts the input.

One last thing. Here is a picture of the instrument cluster partially installed. The signal lights are on top. The lower lights are dash illumination that get covers put on later. The lights seem to work fine although I need a couple more bulbs.

No comments: