Sunday, November 2, 2008

Just another update

When last we spoke or at least when last I spoke...actually when last I wrote...scratch that. When last I typed!

When last I typed I had just finished laying out the front battery racks. That was last weekend. This weekend I finished installing the racks.

Here are pictures of the top rack. It will hold four batteries.




Since my welding skills are non-existent the racks are bolted into place. First holes were drilled into the chassis and rivnuts fastened to the chassis. This basically makes the hole threaded in order to receive the bolt. The racks were then bolted into place with 3/8" grade 8 bolts. The cross members were secured with 1/4" bolts to the supporting members.

Since the chassis is not a flat and level in the engine bay some shimming of the racks was required in order to keep the racks level. One inch nuts and fender washers made great shims.


The lower rack was attached by 6" bolts through the frame. No rivnuts were needed since the bolts protruded through the chassis.


Per the last post I was planning on putting nine batteries in front. The two racks above hold seven total. The last two were going to sit in a rack between these two and close to the level of the lower rack. Unfortunately I'm about 3/4" of an inch short in space. I could put one more there and then one more in the back. But I think I'll put two more in the back since I have plenty of room there and use the extra space for the auxiliary 12V battery and other components.

No comments: